DO YOU OFTEN WAKE UP WITH NECK PAIN? HERE IS WHAT TO DO
When it comes to choosing surgery for weight loss, one must understand the importance of healthy and exercise for maintaining long-term results.
Exercising has numerous health benefits. It tones your muscles, leads to weight loss, maintains body metabolism, builds immunity, and makes you strong inside out, all of which are needed before surgery. Exercising also helps in faster recovery after surgery.
Other important health benefits of exercising from the
perspective of weight-loss surgery
Here are some important health benefits of exercising that add to the results of your surgery for weight loss.
● It improves heart functioning, so there are fewer chances of blood pressure changes during the surgery
● It makes you stronger
● It improves your psychological and emotional well-being
● It helps cope with stress and fight anxiety
● It tones your muscles post surgery
● It improves joint movements
● It improves your quality of sleep
● It lowers blood pressure
● It boosts your overall energy levels
Which exercises or physical activities are best-suited post
After surgery, in the first month when you start exercising, you will be allowed only a few light exercises that do not pressurise and hurt your surgical wounds.One month after surgery, you can either start on your own or seek help from a physical trainer to advise you on suitable exercises. Depending on the extent of surgery, your body’s endurance capacity, and BMI, the fitness trainer may recommend the
It is the easiest and the best form of fitness activity for starting exercises & can be started right after surgery . Start with a 20-minute walk daily, and then increase your miles by 10% daily till 40 minutes daily.
Aerobics utilises full body muscles, releases endorphins (happy hormone), and tones body muscles evenly. Some intense aerobics increase your heart rate and are considered good cardio activity.
Any exercise or activity that increases heart rate and helps burn fat is cardio. You can do specific cardio exercises, like jogging, swimming, or any other intense activity.
● Strength training
It is a type of anaerobic exercise that works on specific muscles and builds endurance. So it can be very helpful to you in specific cases. Ask your trainer which is the best suitable exercise for you. If you are all set to go on your own, then be in close consultation with your bariatric surgeon, and do not over-pressurize the body parts with surgery.
What physical challenges are expected, and how to overcome
Resuming an active life after weight loss surgery itself is a challenge. Besides, obesity is a common condition people choose bariatric surgery for, which adds more challenges.
Several people delay their exercise timeline because they fear the sutures might open or hurt. If you are unsure about starting exercise on your own, you can overcome your hurdles in the following ways.
● Hire a trainer– A physical trainer will guide you to start your exercise regimen. Once you are resilient in enduring exercise moves, your trainer might raise the challenge level or increase the duration of physical training to build more stamina.
● Try yoga– Yoga is one of the subtlest and slow forms of exercise. It conditions the entire body’s muscles, increases flexibility, strengthens the respiratory system, and strengthens the full body.
Women tend to learn and adapt yoga exercises more easily. If other activities don’t work for you, you can start with yoga
● Try water sports– Water activities are non-weight bearing and gentle on joints. The best part is you can start them within 4-weeks of surgery. They can be fun and easy activities to start with.
● Consult your bariatric surgeon– You will have to visit your surgeon for follow-ups post-treatment. They will guide you with the routine plan for diet and exercise and clear any concerns you have. Use these consultations to learn more about the best exercises for you and the rate of growth in their intensity.
However, you must consult the doctor immediately if –
● The sutures bleed or you are in pain.
● The surgical site swells upon exercising.
● There’s watery or pussy discharge from the surgical incisions.
● If the muscles of your core ache long after exercising.
Tips for sticking to diet and exercise regimen
● Set small and realistic goals in the initial stages.
● Stick to bariatric diet: A special diet plan with calorie constraints designed to help sustain weight loss.
● Find fun and enjoyable activities that you can sustain for a long time.
● Try new things. Changing activities routine will refresh your mind and challenge your body to adapt to new activities.
● If you are bored with exercising alone, join others.
● Assess your diet in conjugation with exercises.
● Use exercise logs. Logs are timesheets that record cumulative details of your everyday activity.
Weight loss improves your overall personality. So, in whatever ways: naturally or via surgery, if you are losing weight and getting a sleeker and better body, go for it.
Approach Dr Girish Juneja, one of the best bariatric surgeons in Dubai, for weight loss surgery. His investigative approach and diligent skills make each surgery for weight loss safe, flawless and sustainable. To know more about weight loss surgeries, book an appointment with us.