Curb the Kilos with Ketogenic Diet
Being overweight is thriving issue affecting millions around the globe and 47.5% of the total population in UAE. It is said the affected population has a BMI between 25 and 30, of which 13% are obese. Obesity not only hinders yours self and social image, but also it causes lifestyle induced diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, and more. We at WeightLoss Clinic understand how important it is to drop those extra kilos and get in shape, and present you revolutionary bariatric and diet procedures. One such revolutionary diet is the Ketogenic Diet that causes you to burn fat faster than ever.
What is Ketogenic Diet?
A keto diet as the name suggests is a low carb, moderate protein, and high-fat diet aimed to push the body into the metabolic state known as ketosis. It is the state wherein the liver produces ketones to power the body instead of glycogen that is derived from sugar and carbs. As a result, fat intake is increased in the diet, which in turns makes your body a fat burner, thereby shedding those extra flabs of fat.
In Ketogenic diet, the body starts utilizing fats instead of carbs to provide energy for bodily functions. Normally, a body will break down carbs into glucose, which is then utilized by cells for activities. When there is surplus of food intake, the glucose in the body increases. This extra glucose is then converted by the body into fats, and kept for use in future. Over the years, this conversion accumulates a lot of fat, and makes you overweight.
In the ketogenic diet, the glucose intake is reduced. As a result, the conversion mechanism of glucose to fat gets shifted, wherein the stored fats are now converted into ketones, which power the cellular activity. This process of utilizing fats for energy is known as Ketosis. The state is activated when the glucose level in the body drops, and instant sources of gratifications to restore glucose level are inhibited.
Working of Ketogenic Diet
As the liver starts breaking the fat into ketones, the fat cells start releasing stored water. So, the water weight starts dropping. Only when fats lose water, their molecular size decreases and they are able to enter the bloodstream and reach the different cells for energy.
The state of Ketosis is achieved not by starving the body. In the Ketogenic diet, starving is not recommended. The state is achieved by restricting the glucose and carb intake and increasing the fat intake such that the fat-burning mechanism gets activated.
What to eat in Ketogenic Diet?
A ketogenic diet is a disciplined way of losing weight. The first rule is to restrict yourself from eating anything rich in carbohydrates. Until the state of Ketosis is achieved, you will experience the cravings to eat something sweet to restore the glucose level in the body. However, once the state is reached, the cravings will recede. To achieve the states here are the food to consume and to avoid.
Food to Consume
- Any type of Meat – fish, beef, lamb, poultry, egg
- Green vegetables and veggies – spinach, kale
- Ground vegetables – broccoli, cauliflower
- High-fat dairy products – hard cheese, high fat cream, butter,
- Nuts and seeds – macadamias, walnuts, sunflower seeds
- Avocado and berries – raspberries, blackberries, and other low glycemic impact berries
- Other fat rich sources such as salad dressings, cream, and more.
Foods to Avoid
- Whole grains that include wheat, corn, rice, cereals
- Sugar and bi-products such as honey, agave, maple syrup
- Fresh fruits that include apples, bananas, oranges
- Tubers that include potatoes, yams
- Legumes and sprouts
What are the effects of Ketogenic Diet?
A Ketogenic diet is one of the successful therapies for weight loss. Here are the effects of this diet:
- In the first week, there is reduction in the water-weight of the body. This is about 3kg or more, depending on your body.
- Once the body reaches the Ketosis state, you lose about 1.5 to 3 kg every week.
- After a few weeks, you may only lose 2kg a week until the stomach size is reduced.
- As you lose weight, problems such as Diabetes, hypertension, and cholesterol issues are reduced.
- You will become healthy again, and will be energetic to do several activities.
- When paired with light exercise, the weight loss is accelerated, and you will turn into a better and fitter you.